Are you a descendant of Mayflower passenger Degory Priest?
If you are, then please tell us your line.
According to Wikipedia, Degory Priest:
was a hat maker from London who married Sarah, sister of Pilgrim Isaac Allerton in Leiden. He was a signatory to the Mayflower Compact in November 1620 and died less than two months later.
Searching in GenealogyBank’s Historical Newspaper Archives, I can easily find hundreds of articles about descendants of other Mayflower Pilgrims such as Thomas Rogers, Stephen Hopkins or Dr. Samuel Fuller – but, articles about Degory Priest descendants – not so much.
I only found six persons who mentioned their descent from him in their obituaries, such as this one for Patricia Sayward.
Patricia A. (Woodward) Sayward’s (1929-2009) obituary tells us that “she was a descendant of Degory Priest” and that she had two ancestors who fought at the Battles of Lexington and Concord. She was active in both the Mayflower Society and the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Here are the other five individuals I found whose obituaries mentioned that they were descendants of Degory Priest:
- Elizabeth F. (Souther) Dunn (1910-2007)
- Cohasset Mariner (Cohasset, Massachusetts), 16 February 2007
If you are a descendant of Degory Priest – or any other Mayflower passenger – please tell us about it in the comments section.
Related Mayflower Genealogy Articles:
- Researching Your Pilgrim Ancestry from Mayflower Ship Passengers
- Researching Recent Obituaries for All My Mayflower Cousins
- Mayflower Heritage: Jack Howland Loved His!
- Mayflower Pilgrim Thomas Rogers: Are You a Descendant?
- New Discovery about Mayflower Pilgrim Stephen Hopkins
- Man Overboard! Mayflower Pilgrim John Howland’s Story
- Are You a Descendant of Mayflower Pilgrim John Alden?
- Full List of Mayflower Passengers in Gov. Bradford’s Newly-Restored Journal