It’s that time of year when families reflect on their Pilgrim heritage.
Kathy Handel likes to do just that. In fact – she regularly shares her heritage with others. Dressed as her ancestor, Mayflower passenger Constance Hopkins (1606-1677), Handel is seen in this newspaper photo speaking at the Wilson Vocational School in South Carolina.
Constance Hopkins was the daughter of Stephen Hopkins, also a Mayflower passenger. Her stepbrother Oceanus Hopkins (1620-1626) was born on the Mayflower during the voyage to America.
This newspaper article also reports that Marylen Smith Jackson of Williston, South Carolina, “is related to a dozen” Mayflower passengers. She told the State newspaper that “she has had fun as a Mayflower descendant. Last summer she visited Plimoth Plantation, where she talked to actors portraying life as her ancestors knew it.”
Survey: Please select all that apply and report your results in the comments section:
- Do you have a Mayflower ancestor?
- Have you ever given a public talk about your Mayflower ancestor?
- Have you ever dressed up as your ancestor for Halloween, a Thanksgiving party or other event?
- Mayflower Descendant: ‘A John Howland & Richard Warren Line’
- Mayflower Descendant: Rebecca (Priest) Wadsworth
- Are You a Descendant of Mayflower Pilgrim John Alden?