Introduction: In this blog article, Mary Harrell-Sesniak has some fun suggesting epitaphs that genealogists might consider for their own tombstone. Mary is a genealogist, author and editor with a strong technology background.
Epitaphs are odd curiosities, but they are also among the most memorable treasures.
Perhaps you need ideas for your family historian’s grave – or if you’re a genealogist, think about leaving special messages for your descendants. Here are some novel ideas.
- At rest with those I loved and remembered always!
- At the setting of the sun and in the morning remember me. Lest anyone forget, read the book – the family history book!
- Did you know that genealogy is a very grave matter?
- For surname Coffin: Here’s a Coffin in a coffin!
- For surname King or Queen: Progenitor of little Kings & Queens!
- For surname Smith: To figure out my surname, fill in the blank: Black_____, Brown_____, Copper_____, Lock_____, Silver_____, and Tins_____!
- For the resourceful genealogist: Etch the family tree and your photo onto the tombstone.
- For the resourceful genealogist: Name the family progenitors on your monument.
- For the resourceful genealogist: Sketch the family crest onto the tombstone.
- Here lies your family historian. “Tag” – you’re now it!
- Here lieth one of the most generous people on earth – the person who compiled our family history for free!
- I think that I will never read a poem as lovely as genealogy!
- I told you genealogy was all relatives!
- I wanted to live forever, but since I now lie here, please make my memories eternal.
- If I hadn’t spent it as the family historian, I might have left you a Delorean!
- If I’ve taught you anything, it’s spelled G-E-N-E-A-L-O-G-Y!
- If you want to know more about me, read the family history.
- If you’ve forgotten the family dirt, head to the library to find my genealogy.
- My legacy is my genealogy – it’s your job to pay it forward!
- My life was not just the dash between these dates!
- My mission on earth is fulfilled. Now it’s up to you to carry on the family history.
- Remember: genealogy is a game of hide and seek. To find us, you may need to dig deep.
- The grandest parent is always the grandparent!
- This proves that genealogy is a very “deep” subject.
- Those who throw away my family tree are sure to have a haunting memory.
- To know him/her was to hear about the family history!
- You will always be with us – in our hearts – in our memories – in our genealogy!
If you’ve thought of some fun epitaphs for genealogists, please leave me a comment.
For more humor and genealogy, here are links to past GenealogyBank blogs.