Are you researching your family roots in Utah? Here are two good sources of Utah genealogy information online—GenealogyBank and vital records put up by the state itself—to help with your family history research in the “Beehive State.”
Utah county and state genealogical records are going online. The state’s Division of Archives & Records Service is putting up indexes and digital copies of original records ranging from birth certificates to probate records, and all types of records in between.
Utah has put up a wider variety of records than perhaps any other state in the U.S.
Utah has digitized and is in the process of putting online their death records from 1904-1961. These are Series 20842 (Index to Series 81448).
According to its website there are also these records. (Note: the series without links are not available online, but can be searched in person at the Utah Division of Archives & Records Service office.)
- Reports from Summit County (Utah). County Coroner, Series 3716, contains the death certificates that are associated with the individual deaths investigated in this coroner record.
- Military death certificates from the Department of Administrative Services. Division of Archives and Records Service, Series 3769, includes death certificates for military personnel killed in World War II and the Korean War, whose bodies were transported back to Utah for burial.
- Death certificates electronic index from the Department of Health. Office of Vital Records and Statistics, Series 20842, is a computerized index for the death certificates.
- Burial record from Vernal (Utah), Series 25360, contains death certificates from Uintah County beginning in 1905.
According to its website there are also these related birth records online:
- Birth certificates from Weber County (Utah). County Clerk, Series 20896, includes all live births occurring in the state of Utah as recorded by the Office of Vital Records and Statistics.
- Birth certificate indexes from the Department of Health. Office of Vital Records and Statistics, Series 81437, indexes the birth certificates (1904-1934) by Soundex code number.
- Out-of-state births from the Department of Health. Office of Vital Records and Statistics, Series 81442, are birth certificates from other states sent to the Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics for statistical compilation of Utah residents that were born in other states.
- Native American birth certificates from the Department of Health. Office of Vital Records and Statistics, Series 81444, are a separate file of birth certificates issued for Indians.
- Delayed certificates of birth from the Department of Health. Office of Vital Records and Statistics, Series 81445, are birth certificates that are registered with Vital Records a year or more after the date of birth.
- Amendments to birth records from the Department of Health. Office of Vital Records and Statistics, Series 81446, are forms used to change information on birth certificates, either through error, name change, or subsequent sex change.
- Birth registers from Emery County (Utah). County Clerk, Series 84038, contains birth certificates filed with the Bureau of Vital Statistics beginning in 1904—but do not become public until 100 years after birth. The researcher should contact the agency.
- Birth and death records from Weber County (Utah). Vital Statistics Registrar, Series 85146, contains the official copy of birth certificates.
Utah has also put an extensive collection of records online ranging from cattle brand registration books to naturalization records to probate records. See its complete list of records here.
GenealogyBank has an extensive collection of Utah newspapers online dating from 1851 to 1922 & 1988 to Today.
Discover a variety of genealogy records and news stories in these 8 Utah newspapers:
- Salt Lake Telegram (Salt Lake City, Utah) 01/30/1902 – 12/31/1922
- Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City, Utah) 01/01/1875 – 12/28/1893
- Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah) 01/11/1851 – 12/29/1886
- Broad Ax (Salt Lake City, Utah) 08/31/1895 – 06/06/1899
- Salt Lake Daily Telegraph (Salt Lake City, Utah) 01/12/1866 – 07/03/1868
- Deseret Evening News (Salt Lake City, Utah) 07/06/1868 – 09/19/1921
- Inter-Mountain Advocate (Salt Lake City, Utah) 12/14/1894 – 04/30/1897
- Telegraph (Salt Lake City, Utah) 10/09/1865 – 10/04/1866
Search recent obituary records for your relatives in these 15 Utah newspapers:
- Davis County Clipper (Bountiful, Utah) 3/9/2006 – Current
- Emery County Progress (Castle Dale, Utah) 11/27/2011 – Current
- Herald Journal (Logan, Utah) 03/01/1999 – Current
- Hilltop Times: Hill Air Force Base (Ogden, Utah) 10/18/2007 – Current
- Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah) 05/22/2001 – Current
- Park Record (Park Record, Utah) 09/10/2003 – Current
- Sun Advocate (Price, Utah) 08/02/2001 – Current
- Daily Herald (Provo, Utah) 02/27/2001 – Current
- Richfield Reaper (Richfield, Utah) 08/18/2005 – Current
- Uintah Basin Standard (Roosevelt, Utah) 07/24/2006 – Current
- Intermountain Catholic (Salt Lake City, Utah) 10/5/2007 – Current
- Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah) 04/7/1988 – Current
- Salt Lake City Weekly (Salt Lake City, Utah) 06/11/2007 – Current
- Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City, Utah) 09/26/1990 – Current
- Vernal Express (Vernal, Utah) 5/19/2010 – Current
Click on the image below to download a printable list of the Utah newspapers in GenealogyBank for your future reference. You can save to your desktop and click the titles to go directly to your newspaper of interest.
Feel free to share this list of Utah newspapers on your blog or website using the embed code provided below.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):